The ICCO is seeking an individual to take up the post of Statistical Assistant.
The job description for the position is as follows:
Position Title: Statistical Assistant
Grade Level: G.4/5 (on the United Nations salary scale)
Job status: Full-time
Duty Station: London or elsewhere
Vacancy Type: 1 year fixed term contract with the possibility to extend
Deadline for Application: 21 June 2015
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Director of Economics and Statistics and the direct supervision of the Senior Statistician, the incumbent will contribute to the implementation of the work programme of the Statistics Section, including assisting in the collection, collation, analysis and publication of statistical data on the world cocoa economy.
The incumbent will be required to:
- Compute the daily ICCO cocoa prices and send price information to news agencies, requesting countries and other interested parties.
- Assist in the preparation and despatch of questionnaires for the collection of statistical data for the publication of the ICCO Quarterly Bulletin of Cocoa Statistics (QBCS).
- Check returns for accuracy and consistency with other sources of information (libraries, companies, trade associations, specialist institutions, etc.) and, where appropriate, make estimates.
- Input data and prepare camera-ready copies of the tables for the QBCS.
- Assist in developing and maintaining a computerized statistical databank for the QBCS as well as answering general enquiries.
- Assist in undertaking surveys, including for the Expert Working Group on Stocks.
- Assist in the development of the new Statistical Database Management System.
- Provide assistance to the Professional staff in the preparation of studies and reports on the world cocoa economy.
- Perform any other duties as required by the Executive Director.
Qualifications and experience required
- A University degree at BSc or BA level in a numerate subject area, such as Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Economics (with quantitative specialization) or associated discipline, combined with working experience in data collection and analysis, preferably related to commodity markets, agriculture or international trade.
- Computer skills. Must be thoroughly conversant with Microsoft Excel and Word programmes; knowledge of database applications and the use of statistical software would be an advantage.
- Previous experience in compiling commodity trade statistics is desirable.
- An aptitude for numerical work, accurate, consistent and methodological.
- Excellent analytical, writing and communication skills
- Fluency in English. Working knowledge of French, Spanish or Russian would be an advantage.
How to apply
Please send your letter of motivation, your CV and reference letters, preferably by email or, alternatively, by post to:
Ms. Sophia Petros
International Cocoa Organization
London W5 1YY
Phone: +44 (0)20 8991 6001
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.